Synopsis of Minutes of Steering Committee meeting 4th December 2004
The Steering Committee met on 2 December 2004 to discuss progress since 16 September and consider the response to the 2004 Anniversary mailing of the Launch in November 2003.
The underlying theme of the Evening was how to engage with Fellows and how to build on the foundations that had been laid.
First a report from the three Teams:
- Individual telephoning of Fellows who have expressed an interest in NFP work has begun; 20 people contacted to date
- slow work but valuable; some Fellows have undertaken to act as advisers on certain NFP areas of work
- frustrated by some contact details being out of date
- help from other people needed with this exercise
- many people contacted are already working for charities
- Charity section of website updated
- First 'Charity of the month' now on screen
- Appeal for articles about the experience of working with charities
- 80 offers of careers advice/work experience now on screen
- mechanics of providing information for newsletters and Monthly messages explained
Reactions to the mid November 2004 mailing to mark the Anniversary of the November 2003 Launch
The Chairman congratulated Steve Wilson and Andrew Cowen on the very high quality of the membership card; very little evidence of how it had been received.
Many letters returned to the office as 'gone away'; 28 Pledge cards returned by time of meeting,
- Many stating that the Fellow was already working with a charity and
- quite a few that the Fellow was not in a position to contemplate doing so at this stage but wishes to be kept in touch with fellowship plans.
Response to invitation for Younger Fellows to 'Sixes' party on 16 December
Response from School fellows was encouraging with acceptances from as far as Truro, but response from those at University was minimal even though there was still a week to go before responses had been requested.
Decision: personal contact
- members of the Steering Committee to make personal telephone contact as soon as possible with as many of those who had not replied as possible and enquire about acceptance and general interest, mentioning Work Experience offers and checking contact details.
Decision to hold Careers Evening on 23 June 2005 rather than in late March.
Engaging the individual Fellows
With an excellent website now in place members agreed that an initiative was needed to communicate directly with all Fellows to gauge their interest in the Fellowship, including:
- interest in giving/receiving Careers Guidance/Work Experience
- interest in writing for the website
- interest in NFP work
- what they expect of the Steering Committee and what initiatives they would like to see taken
- level of commitment to Fellowship
- c onfirming their contact details
Intention to contact at least 250 fellows by the end of February to enable discussion when the Committee meets next on 10 March 2005.